To start a PTA Reflections program in your school community, contact your state PTA for instructions and materials. Use the 2015-2016 Reflections Toolkit to guide your PTA/PTSA and make your Reflections program a success.
Step 1: Start the Arts
Walk through a step-by-step process for engaging students, parents and educators in Reflections while learning about resources and tools provided by your State PTA and National PTA.
- Register for an informational webinar at 8PM ET on August 5.
- Take the Reflections Leader e-learning course. New!
- Contact your state PTA for a Local Leader's Guide, state-specific dates, forms and additional information.
- Consider the National Standards for Family-School Partnerships to ensure your Reflections program meets its intended potential.
Step 2: Organize and Plan Your Program
Recruit a committee/team of volunteers to assist with program tasks. Also recruit community arts professionals to review artwork and determine awards.
- Customize your check list to organize tasks and schedule deadlines.
- Consider these Volunteer Job Descriptions to help recruit volunteers with specific skills/interests.
Step 3: Promoting Reflections
Share announcements widely using PTA, school and community communication channels. Be sure to include a deadline and drop off location as well as submission instructions.
- Consider these Tips for Promoting Reflections
- Distribute posters/flyers or create your own using the Reflections Visual Standards and logo.
- Posters and Flyers:
- Distribute the 2015 Student Entry Form & Rules provided by your State PTA.
- Reference the summary of rules (En Espanol) and full set of rules for national qualification:
Step 4: Organize Artwork for Judging
First, check-in entries and review artwork for qualification. Organize entries by division and category and assign them to a judge.
- Share this Information for Judges along with a copy of program rules.
- Instruct judges to complete their rankings on the Judging Scorecard. Conduct blind-judging and provide judges with the entry's artwork title and artist statement.
- Assign awards to all qualifying entries. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence, Award of Merit, Honorable Mention and Participant.
Step 5: Celebrate and Recognize Your Participants
- Start with the Reflections celebration guide to help plan your event.
- Share the media advisory and press release with local media.
- Present the Certificate of Participation and other awards available at the PTA Store. Coming Soon!
- Learn about state and National Awards and Recognition opportunities.
Step 6: Wrap Up
- Be sure to thank school staff, community partners, PTA members and judges. Consider this template Thank-you Letter for Volunteers.
- Organize information to share with PTA and school leaders. Consider this Sample Program Evaluation to archive notes for next year.
- Report Participation (Contact state PTA for a PTA Registration Form)