STEM + Families: Math Grants Toolkit
Sponsored by Mathnasium
Hosting a Math Event
Use this STEM + Families Toolkit for hosting a successful Math Event at your Elementary School. We have organized the process into 5 steps and will provide links to documents and sample templates you can customize for your own PTA and school. This toolkit will be finalized by August 24, but check out what we have so far!
STEP 1: Make Connections
Schedule a date on your school calendar for the Math Event and start engaging your school community in discussions around the importance of STEM education. Reach out to your school administrators, teachers and families. Check to see if there is a Mathnasium in your territory to co-host your Math Event.
STEP 2: Plan Your Event
Form a planning committee by inviting parents in STEM careers and teachers of STEM subjects to join. Recruit at least 10 volunteers to help during the Math Event. Organize your tasks, create a budget and schedule deadlines. Reach out to local partners to gain donations and community volunteers.
- Event Planning Checklist
- Invitation to Volunteer
- Volunteer Sign-Up Sheet
- Tips for Recruiting Non-PTA Volunteers (So PTA Parents Can Participate)
- Solicit Donations
- Invitation to Volunteer for Local Partners
- Sample Budget
STEP 3: Promote Your Event
Utilize as many platforms as possible for promoting your event. Translate documents into languages your school community speaks.
- Tips for Promoting Your Event
- Authorized STEM + Families Logo
- Authorized Mathnasium Logos: in white and in black
- Invitation Letter to Parents
- Sample Flyers: Bevis and Academy for Enriched Sciences
- Flyer Template
- Promo Video
- Morning Announcement Template
- Press Release
- Social Media Messages
STEP 4: Host Your Event
Ensure that everything goes smoothly at your Math Event! Offer take-aways to parents who attend to help them retain and build on what they learned.
- Event Day Checklist
- Sample Agenda
- Sample Room Organization: Hollin Meadows, Bevis and Mathnasium
- Math Night General Overview
- Parent Engagement Reminder Posters
- STEM: Today & Tomorrow
- STEM Resources: Activities, Careers, Events, Girls in STEM, Research, by State
STEP 5: Wrap Up
Be sure to thank your PTA, Mathnasium, school staff, community partners and parent volunteers. Gather feedback, report your results to National PTA and use the findings to plan your next event. National PTA recommends offering an incentive for completing the survey (e.g. enter names into a drawing for a $50 gift card donated by a local merchant).
Email Programs@PTA.org or call (800) 307-4782.
National PTA does not endorse any commercial entity, product, or service. No endorsement of Mathnasium is implied.