National PTA believes that all children residing in the United States, regardless of their immigration status, have the right to a quality public education, basic health care services and adequate food and shelter.
National PTA supports:
- All children, regardless of immigration status, having access to a free and quality public education.
- The confidentiality of school records, including records that pertain to the immigration status of children.
- The offering of federal child nutrition programs, including school meals, to all children—regardless of immigration status—as this important benefit fights hunger and enhances children’s physical, academic and emotional growth.
- Federal, state and local entities offering health care and other social services to children regardless of immigration status.
Read the full National PTA position statement on Services for Undocumented Children.
What PTAs Can Do
PTA leaders have an important role in connecting immigrant families to community and school resources to help these families feel more engaged and welcomed in their schools. Use the following resources:
- Diversity and Inclusion Toolkit
- Tips: Supporting Immigrant Families (En español)
- FAQs: Immigrant Students and Families at School (En español)
- Webinar: The Role of PTA in Supporting Immigrant Families
Learn More about Immigration Issues
- Resource: Legal Issues for School Districts Related to the Education of Undocumented Children (NSBA/NEA)
- Immigration Advocates Network is a national collaboration of leading immigrant rights organizations.
- immi.org allows user to take an immigration legal screening, read helpful articles on immigration topics and find free and low cost help nearby from nonprofit legal providers.
- National Council of La Raza (NCLR) advocates for fair and nondiscriminatory immigration policies, with the goal of achieving comprehensive immigration reform.
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center (ILRC) works with and educates immigrants, community organizations and the legal sector to continue to build a democratic society that values diversity and the rights of all people
- The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) advance the economic condition, educational attainment, political influence, housing, health and civil rights of the Hispanic population of the United States.