PTA believes all students deserve the opportunity to take part in the arts, both in school and in the community. The arts can positively affect entire school culture—especially student motivation, attitudes, and attendance—which encourages students to stay in school, succeed in school, succeed in work, and succeed in life!
Help PTA ensure that every child has access to-and takes part in-high quality arts learning experiences.
Explore the ArtsEd Toolkit and apply for the Mary Lou Anderson ArtsEd Grant to grow family and community engagement for arts education at your school.
PTA ArtsEd Toolkit
Whether you're new to PTA or an experienced leader, the PTA ArtsEd Leader's Guide and Appendices will help you establish an ArtsEd team, assess arts programs, practices and policies at your school and engage more families in school decision-making. By the end of the school year, your PTA will be able to accomplish one or more of the following:
- Increase student access to ArtsEd opportunities.
- Secure ArtsEd resources for students and teachers.
- Strengthen family and community relationships with schools.
- Establish School ArtsEd Policies
What can PTAs Do?
Lead a PTA ArtsEd Project to:
- Host a Creative Career Fair for families: Invite families to learn about how artistic literacy translates into college and career readiness. Learn how using the PTA Creative Career Fair Guide.
- Host a Reflections Awards program for students: Spark creativity and celebrate participation and achievement in the arts with the whole family. Learn how using the PTA Reflections Toolkit.
- Enroll in the National PTA School of Excellence Program (May 1 - Oct. 1): Strengthen family-school partnerships in support of arts education and gain national recognition for excellence in family engagement. Learn more about National PTA School of Excellence.
- Join our national celebrations and speak up about your PTA's support for arts education. Use #ArtsEd on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share your #PTAProud story with us. Explore One Voice blogs and Our Children Magazine articles about arts education.
Sept. 9-15, 2018 is National Arts in Education Week
October is National Arts and Humanities Month
March is Music In Our Schools Month
Americans for the Arts envisions a country where everyone has access to-and takes part in-high quality and lifelong learning experiences in the arts, both in school and in the community. Learn about new ways to support the arts during National Arts in Education Week and National Arts and Humanities Month. Find connections and partnerships in the Arts Education Field Guide. Browse the Arts Education Navigator Series and grow your confidence as a PTA ArtsEd Leader. Share these family activities.
Arts Education Partnership helps PTA to advance arts education and lead the way to student success with current research and policy insights. Visit ArtScan to learn about state education policies supporting arts education. Make your case for arts education with the help of ArtsEdSearch, a research and policy database providing summaries on academic, cognitive, personal, social, and civic outcomes for students of arts education.
National Association for Music Education serves as National PTA Reflections' expert adviser on music composition and provides an array of resources and local advocacy tools to help parents advocate for their child's music education. Learn about Music Education under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). Gather 5 simple ways to support music programs. Share this flier for parents.
ArtsEd Grant Opportunity
Mary Lou Anderson ArtsEd Grant
Funded projects will increase access to learning opportunities in the literary, media, visual and/or performing arts for at-risk or under-served audiences. Eligible applicants must be a PTA in good standing, as determined by the State PTA.
Application Period: April - June
Awards Announced: September
Grant Period: September - November
Congratulations to the 2018 Mary Lou Anderson Reflections Arts Enhancement Grantee, Tiffany Park Elementary School PTA in Washington and Harvest Hill STEAM Academy PTA in California.