Connect with school administrators, community members, librarians and school literacy specialists to discuss the objectives for this event as well as logistics (e.g. location, date, time, promotion, etc.). Reach out to community businesses to secure food/prize donations. Consider using the reading activities from Reading is Fundamental (RIF) or the additional activity resources provided.
- Visit RIF’s customized PTA portal at www.rif.org/pta. This site contains free recommended book lists and interactive activities for each book title.
- Review the RIF book list for your grade band K-2 or 3-5.
- Choose a book (or books) from the provided list to showcase during your Family Reading Experience.
- Discuss the expected size of your event and how many copies of the book will be needed.
- Explore ways to obtain books or book sets (e.g. local library, RIF discounted books offered at $3/book via RIF's PTA portal - allow up to 4 weeks for shipping).
- Explore ways to provide whole/small group read-alouds with fewer books.
- Familiarize yourself with the free book extension activities from RIF’s PTA portal, that accompany your book selection(s) or use these ideas to create new activities.
Recruit your PTA Family Reading Experience Team, including teachers and school librarians. Assign volunteer roles and gather event materials. Consider partnering with a local High School or business for non-PTA volunteers so your families can take part in the event.
- Suggested Volunteer Roles
- 2 to promote your event
- 1 to secure food/drinks and prizes for the event
- 2 to set up the event and clean up the event
- 1 to greet and thank families as they enter and exit the event
- 3-4 to secure books, choose activities for each book, facilitate book read-alouds and facilitate activity stations
- 1 to take pictures and post to social media (#PTA Proud)
Use these customizable flyers and templates to promote your event for students, families and community members.