Early in the school year, your Excellence Team will deploy National PTA’s Baseline Survey to your school community—including families, administrators and teachers. The format of your Baseline Survey can be whatever works best for your PTA, school and family members. While some PTAs opt to distribute the Baseline Survey by paper, others create an online version of the survey.
This year, as many schools will be starting remotely, we strongly recommend that you transfer the survey questions to an online platform (e.g., GoogleDoc, SurveyFace) and deploy the survey virtually.
DO NOT CHANGE OR EDIT these survey questions, as you will use the same survey questions again at the end of the year to gauge progress. However, you are encouraged to ask for open-ended responses or additional questions to determine the greatest needs of your school community. Consider asking direct questions to help guide COVID-19 relief efforts in the areas of food security, mental health and social emotional support, distance learning or internet and device access.
While there is no set number of survey responses required by National PTA, we strongly encourage you to collect as many survey responses as possible to best inform your work throughout the school year.
- *Use these specific 20 survey questions provided when completing step #2.*
- Baseline Survey Questions (en Español)
- We encourage you or your parent liaisons to translate and/or transcribe the survey questions into the home languages of your families. Here are some translated survey questions to get you started. If you have others, please share them with us at Excellence@PTA.org:
- Tips for Surveying Remotely - As many school communities start with distance learning, you may need to consider new methods for deploying the baseline survey questions to your school community. Consider these tips and tricks collected from a host of PTA leaders on how to survey remotely:
- Transfer the survey questions to a free, online platforms (e.g., GoogleDoc, SurveyMonkey, SurveyFace, pre-existing district/school platform)
- Host a virtual welcome back night or fall festival for all families and include the online survey link in the program or chat
- Provide the link to the survey in your school and PTA meetings
- Host an online listening session with your community to learn about their greatest needs that the PTA can support and provide the survey link in the chat
- Provide pre-printed surveys at physically distanced events or food/resource pick-up locations following CDC safety guidelines with touch-free collection boxes
- Employ room parents or grade representatives to distribute their surveys by email using class lists
- Ask the principal, trusted teachers, administrators and family support personnel to push out the surveys on the PTA's behalf
- Use all of the platforms available to you for online survey distribution:
- PTA and school Facebook pages and Facebook Live events
- YouTube, websites and social media
- Principal messages
- School and PTA newsletters
- Divide phone lists with your Excellence Team
- Deploy the survey link through text messaging
- Explore new virtual platforms like ClassDojo or Bloomz
- Provide a central home address or location(s) for collection (sample mailbox from Harmony Elementary PTA in Texas) following CDC safety guidelines
- Provide rationale as to why you are surveying (e.g., modify the SAMPLE letter above)