Thank you for enrolling in the National PTA School of Excellence program! This webpage will serve as your one-stop shop throughout the school year for step-by-step guidance, training and resources.
Bookmark this page for your records, check regularly for new content and add Excellence@PTA.org to your contact list in your emails. Don’t let your School of Excellence program emails go to your Spam folder.
Step #1: Enroll and Gain Support (Enroll by Oct. 15)
Now that you have enrolled in the program, you can start building your Excellence Team. This team of inclusive volunteers will help you through the remaining program steps.
Step #2: Deploy Baseline Survey (Sep. — Nov.)
Early in the school year, your Excellence Team will deploy National PTA’s Baseline Survey to your school community–including families, administrators and teachers. Feel free to add open-ended responses or additional questions but DO NOT CHANGE OR EDIT these questions, as you will use them again to gauge progress at the end of the year.
Step #3: Set a Shared Objective (Sep.— Nov.)
After you compile feedback from your school community, the next step is to hold meetings to analyze what you have learned and discuss ways that your PTA can better engage families throughout the year. You will pick one focus area and objective for family engagement that you plan to concentrate on in the upcoming school year: education, health & safety or the arts. See your Program Leader's Guide for a list of objectives.
- Focus Area: Improve Education
- Focus Area: Ensure Health & Safety of Students
- Focus Area: Support the Arts
Step #4: Complete Initial Application (Submit by Nov. 15)
Once you have analyzed the surveys and determined your shared objective with your school administrator, you will submit your results. Upon submission, you will receive a customized Roadmap to Excellence, which contains specific recommendations that respond directly to the survey results you shared and focus area you identified.
Step #5: Follow Roadmap to Excellence (Throughout School Year)
Once you have your Roadmap to Excellence, your Excellence Team will determine which of the recommendations will have the greatest impact on increasing family engagement and achieving results. Then, you will develop and implement an action plan.
Step #6: Deploy Final Survey (March — June)
Towards the end of the school year, you will conduct a Final Survey to gather feedback from your school community and evaluate your progress over the school year. Once you have the results from the Final Survey, analyze them with your Excellence Team and school administrator to determine a new focus area for the following school year.
Step #7: Complete Final Application (Submit by June 1)
Once you have analyzed the surveys and determined a new, shared objective for next year, you will submit your results. Upon submission, you will receive a new Roadmap to Excellence, to continue the momentum in engaging families next year.
- SAMPLE Final Application - (NOTE: you must submit this application online by the deadline for consideration)
- Narrative Rubric - coming soon
- WEBINAR: Completing Your Final Application (step #7) - May 8 at 1 p.m. EST. Register now.
- SUBMIT FINAL APPLICATION HERE - link to come May 1
- The Final Application period is open from May 1-June 1.
- Late entries will not be considered.
- The application continues on page 2 where you will submit one specific objective that best describes how you will prioritize your efforts.
- You are able edit your application after submitting.
- Lost your Roadmap to Excellence: Are We There Yet?
- Get a new copy here!
- Choose the Roadmap from the Final Application from the drop down menu.
- Enter your PTA ID# found HERE!
- If your ID number is not 8 digits, you may need to enter "0s" for empty spaces at the front of your ID number.
Step #8: Celebrate Your Excellence (Aug.)
- Celebration Kit - banner and digital celebration tools will be distributed to those designated as 2018-2020 Schools of Excellence in August 2018!
- As a completer of the School of Excellence program, you are considered for the prestigious Phoebe Apperson Hearst award.
Contact Amy Weinberg at Excellence@pta.org or (703) 518-1248.