Congratulations 2017-2019 National PTA School of Excellence!
2017-2019 School of Excellence banners were mailed out Friday, September 22.
Celebrate Your Excellence!
Let the whole community know that your school is a National PTA School of Excellence by welcoming families, community leaders and the media to a special a celebration event. Here are some steps to promote your excellence.
1. Announce the Excellent News. Let your school and PTA leaders involved in this effort be the first to know. Begin thinking how you want to share the announcement and celebrate with students, parents, neighbors, school partners, community leaders and the media.
2. Plan a celebration ceremony. This is an event for the whole school community – students, parents, neighbors, school partners and community leaders. Don't forget to share your plans with regional/state PTA leadership -- they may be available to participate and support your celebration activities.
When planning, consider the following:
- Where? Secure a location in the school that is large enough for hundreds of attendees.
- When? Select a date and time when you believe the most families and special guests could participate. Look at the school and community calendar. Perhaps the event could be combined with another special event, such as Back to School Night or Homecoming.
- What? Consider the flow for your event ceremony that is approximately 45-60 minutes in length. Who will speak? What student groups could provide entertainment? How will you make the presentation of the banner special? Which community partner would be willing to donate refreshments? See example agenda below.
3. Promote your event. Research shows people who receive a personal invitation from someone they know and trust are more likely to attend a school event. When possible, send personalized invitations to families, school leaders, and community leaders. Use all of your PTA and school communication tools – social media, e-newsletters, phone and text systems, student folders. Invite local media to attend and generate visibility for your school and PTA.
4. Host your School of Excellence Celebration. Revise the schedule below to best fit your school community. Below is one example event to celebrate your recognition.
- Decorate area for event and prepare refreshments.
- Prepare welcome table to greet attendees when they enter for the event.
- Include a “Support PTA” area of the event where you can provide information about PTA’s activities and generate membership or other support.
- Celebration Ceremony
- Welcoming remarks by school principal or PTA/President
- Remarks by school district office representative about the impact of family-school partnerships on student success, school improvements and community as a whole
- Proclamation presentation by local or state official
- Student performance
- Presentation of banner
- Closing remarks by PTA President or principal
- Attendees enjoy refreshments provided by a community partner
5. Thank the people who made your celebration event a success. Be sure to give thanks to all of the people who helped to achieve and celebrate School of Excellence: student leaders and performers, PTA volunteers, school personnel, local and district officials, and community partners.
6. Continue growing the pride about achieving excellence for your family-school partnership. Following the event, share photos in the PTA and school social media channels, as well as with local media. At every PTA and school event, reinforce the importance of families joining with school staff to support student success and improve the school. Include the National PTA School of Excellence image on your school and PTA communications tools.
Throughout the year, we will highlight National PTA’s School of Excellence recipients through our e-newsletters, blogs, magazine, etc. In addition, we will highlight the ways your school and PTA partnered to engage families during our external promotion and training programs.
In the fall of 2018, we invite you to renew your National PTA School of Excellence by enrolling again! Until then – continue building on the momentum you achieved as a stronger family-school partnership.