Modeling healthy behaviors creates a consistent message for students and families throughout the whole school.
What PTAs Can Do
Give your fundraisers and other PTA events a healthy makeover
- Use National PTAs Smart Snacks Guide to make sure any PTA fundraisers during the school day meet the updated nutrition standards.
- Sell fruit, gift wrap or host a car wash.
- Plan a parent-teacher basketball game.
- For class "spirit" and other competitions, provide healthy rewards (a smoothie party) or nonfood items (extra recess) instead of candy, doughnuts and pizza parties.
- Sell bottled water and healthy treats instead of candy and soda at PTA events.
Make the healthy lifestyles message part of everything your PTA does.
- Consider making Healthy Lifestyles Month an annual PTA event.
- Make healthy lifestyles a regular feature during your PTA meetings, or devote one entire meeting to exploring what your PTA can do.
- Offer healthy foods and beverages at all PTA meetings.