This video series was developed through a partnership with the Hunt Institute as part of National PTA’s ongoing effort to provide accurate information about the Common Core State Standards and to assist PTA membership with developing grassroots advocacy skills.
The Common Core State Standard videos were designed to educate parents on the Common Core State Standards and empower them to support the transition at school and at home. The videos highlight three key principles:
- We need clear, consistent and rigorous standards across the country to ensure all students—regardless of their zip code—graduate with the higher order thinking skills needed for college and careers.
- The standards reflect the relevant knowledge and skills that young people need to succeed in college and to build and maintain an American workforce that can compete in the global economy.
- National PTA’s goal is for parents to be knowledgeable about the standards and new assessments and to support them every step of the way as states transition to the standards.
The Grassroots Advocacy videos were designed as companion videos for our Grassroots Advocacy training. The videos provide a brief overview of the steps PTAs should take in order to effectively advocate for any issue that arises in their school community, state or Federal issues. The videos highlight:
- Campaign Strategy
- Coalition Building
- Meetings with Decision Makers
- Working with Media/Social Media
A brief overview of the new Common Core State Standards and the importance of raising the bar for all students, featuring teachers, parents, PTA leaders, school administrators and elected officials.
Reflections on the Common Core From Educators
Reflections on the positive changes that educators are seeing with the new Common Core State Standards.
PTA Reflections on Advocacy
PTA leaders from across the country discuss the importance of advocacy.
PTA Strategies for Common Core Advocacy
An introduction to PTA’s advocacy training focusing on the steps to create a successful campaign strategy.
Reflections on the importance of Common Core by the National PTA President, Otha Thornton.
An overview of the history of the standards and how states led this important effort to raise the bar for all students.
An overview of standards vs. curriculum and a perspective from teachers on how CCSS gives them more flexibility to meet the needs of their students.
Reflections on the importance of Common Core by the Honorable Jack Markell, Governor of Delaware.
Reflections on the importance of common standards for mobile military families.
An overview of what parents can expect with the transition to the new CCSS aligned assessments.
An overview of the new English Language Arts standards.
An overview of the new Mathematics standards.
Reflections on the importance of Common Core from teachers, principals and administrators.
An overview of the new CCSS-aligned assessments