Heidi May Wilson, Senior Manager, Media Relations
Opioid Symposium: A Public Health Epidemic, A Crisis for Families to take place during 2018 National PTA Convention & Expo in New Orleans
On Saturday, June 23, National PTA will bring together experts and parent leaders from across the country at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans, La. for a discussion on the opioid crisis. Topics will include the evolution of prevention methods being deployed at the community, state and national levels, and the role PTAs and parents can play in the fight to eradicate this epidemic. The opioid symposium is being held in conjunction with the 2018 National PTA Convention & Expo.
The President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis’ Dr. Bertha Madras will keynote the event. The symposium will be moderated by Dr. Albert Terrillion, deputy director of evaluation and research for the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA).
Saturday, June 23, 3:45 - 5:15 p.m. CT
Ernest N. Morial Convention Center — Room 255-257
900 Convention Center Blvd.
New Orleans, LA 70130
*The discussion also will be streamed live on National PTA’s Facebook page.
- Bertha Madras, PhD — President's Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis
- Albert Terrillion, DrPH, CPH, CHES — Deputy Director, Evaluation and Research, CADCA
- Rochelle Head-Dunham, MD, FAPA — Executive and Medical Director, Metropolitan Human Services District
- Chelsea Laliberte, MSSA — Executive Director and Co-founder, Live4Lali
- Susanne Smoller, LCSW-R, CASAC, CPP, MAC, ACSW — Assistant Professor, Suffolk County Community College Chemical Dependency Counseling AAS Degree Program and New York State PTA Juvenile Protection Specialist
About National PTA
National PTA® comprises millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of family engagement in schools. PTA is a registered 501(c) (3) nonprofit association that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Membership in PTA is open to anyone who wants to be involved and make a difference for the education, health and welfare of children and youth. For more information, visit PTA.org.