National PTA seeks a Communications Intern for a part-time (15-25 hours/week), year-long internship for the 2017-18 school year (September to December). The intern will support editorial and digital communications efforts and gain experience in a nonprofit and communications environment.
The intern also will have an opportunity to learn about a variety of topics impacting children and families, including education, the arts and health and safety.
This internship position is based in Alexandria, Va., about one mile from Braddock Road Metro stop in North Old Town. Free parking is available.
The intern will work directly with the association’s Senior Editorial & Digital Manager and Editorial and Marketing Specialist.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write articles for Our Children Magazine.
- Post articles for Our Children Magazine in WordPress.
- Assist with preparing for interviews and compiling background materials.
- Research and fact-check historical context, statistics, quotes, anecdotes and other information to ensure the accuracy of content.
- Support email marketing and manage contact lists.
- Compile monthly and quarterly magazine and e-marketing metrics as needed.
- Assist with additional communications projects as needed.
- National PTA agrees to complete any paperwork necessary for academic credit.
- High school or undergraduate student majoring in communications, journalism, marketing or public relations.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- Excellent writing and editing skills, as well as solid communication skills
- Experience with a PC-platform computer, with competency in Microsoft Office Professional is required
- Knowledge of WordPress
- Familiarity with AP writing style is a plus
- Works well independently and thinks and acts innovatively to problem solve and increase productivity
Email resume and cover letter to HR@pta.org with “Communications Intern” in the subject header. EOE. No phone calls, please. For info about National PTA, visit PTA.org.