School of Excellence Tools
Welcome and Congratulations
Thank you for enrolling in the National PTA School of Excellence program! This webpage will serve as your one-stop shop throughout the school year for step-by-step guidance, training and resources.
Please bookmark this page for your records and check regularly for new content.
Step #1: Enroll and Gain Support (Enroll by Oct. 1)
Now that you have enrolled in the program, you can start building your “Excellence Team”. This team of inclusive volunteers will help you through the remaining program steps.
- Program Leader's Guide (en español)
- PTA Live! about the program on Facebook
- Frequently Asked Questions (en español)
- PTA's National Standards for Family-School Partnerships
- Email from National PTA - Step #1
Step #2: Deploy Baseline Survey (Sep. — Nov.)
Early in the school year, your Excellence Team will deploy National PTA’s Baseline Survey to your school community–including families, administrators and teachers. Feel free to add open-ended responses or additional questions but DO NOT CHANGE OR EDIT these questions, as you will use them again to gauge progress at the end of the year.
- Sample Letter to Families (en español)
- Baseline Survey Questions (en español)
- RECORDED WEBINAR: Deploying Your Baseline Survey (step #2)
- Email from National PTA - Step #2
Step #3: Set a Shared Objective (Sep. — Nov.)
After you compile feedback from your school community, the next step is to hold meetings to analyze what you have learned and discuss ways that your PTA can better engage families throughout the year. You will pick one focus area and objective for family engagement that you plan to concentrate on in the upcoming school year: education, health & safety or arts.
- Focus Area: Improve Education
- Focus Area: Ensure Health & Safety of Students
- Focus Area: Support the Arts
Step #4: Complete Initial Application (Submit by Nov. 1)
Once you have analyzed the surveys and determined your shared objective with your school administrator, you will submit your results. Upon submission, you will receive a customized Roadmap to Excellence, which contains specific recommendations that respond directly to the survey results you shared and focus area you identified.
- SAMPLE Initial Application (NOTE: you must submit this application online by the deadline for consideration)
- WEBINAR: Completing Your Initial Application (steps #3 and #4) - October 17 at 1 p.m. EDT. Register now.
- SUBMIT INITIAL APPLICATION HERE - link to come October 1
Step #5: Follow Roadmap to Excellence (Throughout School Year)
Once you have your Roadmap to Excellence, your Excellence Team will determine which of the recommendations will have the greatest impact on increasing family
engagement and achieving results. Then, you will develop and implement an action plan.
- Sample Roadmap to Excellence - coming soon
- Action Plan Template
- WEBINAR: Following Your Roadmap (step #5) Through Strong Action Plans - November 30 at 1 p.m. EDT. Register now.
- WEBINAR: Family Engagement in Action (step #5) - January 8 at 1 p.m. EDT. Register now.
Step #6: Deploy Final Survey (March — June)
Towards the end of the school year, you will conduct a Final Survey to gather feedback from your school community and evaluate your progress over the school year. Once you have the results from the Final Survey, analyze them with your Excellence Team and school administrator to determine a new focus area for the following school year.
- Final Survey Questions (en español)
- WEBINAR: Deploying Your Final Survey (step #6) - February 23 at 1 p.m. EDT. Register now.
Step #7: Complete Final Application (Submit by June 1)
Once you have analyzed the surveys and determined a new, shared objective for next year, you will submit your results. Upon submission, you will receive a new Roadmap to Excellence, to continue the momentum in engaging families next year.
- SAMPLE Final Application - (NOTE: you must submit this application online by the deadline for consideration)
- Narrative Rubric - coming soon
- WEBINAR: Completing Your Final Application (step #7) - May 8 at 1 p.m. EDT. Register now.
- SUBMIT FINAL APPLICATION HERE - link to come May 1
Step #8: Celebrate Your Excellence (Aug.)
- Celebration Kit - banner and digital celebration tools will be distributed to those designated as 2018-2020 Schools of Excellence in August 2018!
We’re happy to help! Contact us at Excellence@pta.org or (800) 307-4782.