Private School Vouchers and School Choice
Where Does National PTA Stand on Private School Vouchers?
National PTA advocates for the improvement of public education for all children and to guarantee public funds are not diverted to any private school choice proposal and/or voucher system.
National PTA also opposes tax credits and deductions for elementary and secondary school tuition and other education-related expenses for public and nonpublic school students.
Our association believes that private school choice systems have detrimental effects on our public school systems. Public dollars must remain invested in public schools for the benefit of all students and the future of our nation. Read the full position statement by National PTA on private school vouchers below.
Where Does National PTA Stand on Public School Choice and Public Charter Schools?
National PTA believes that no one educational program is best for all children. Public school personnel and parents must address the different ways that children learn and how public school systems can provide the best education for all children.
Furthermore, National PTA acknowledges public charter schools as one of many avenues to improving student achievement. National PTA supports public charter schools provided the authorizing bodies and schools reflect the positions and principles of National PTA in charters granted and implemented.
Read the full position statements by National PTA on public school choice and public charter schools below.
Position Statement: Public School Choice
Position Statement: Public Charter Schools
What Can You Do as a PTA Advocate to Ensure Public Funds Go to Public Schools?
- Join the PTA Takes Action Network to get alerts on federal school voucher bills and other pieces of legislation important to students and families.
- Sign Up for the monthly PTA Takes Action E-Newsletter to receive updates on National PTA’s advocacy efforts and critical information on policy issues affecting families, children, education, schools and communities.
- Donate to support PTA’s advocacy work on behalf of public schools and make a difference in the education, health and welfare of all children and youth.
Press Statements and Letters to Policymakers on Private School Choice and Voucher Proposals
- March 16, 2017 — President Trump’s Cuts to Public Education Undermine Opportunity for All Children
- March 8, 2017 — Parent Leaders from Across the Country to Meet in Nation’s Capital to Advocate for Public Education and Every Child
- March 1, 2017 — National PTA Statement on President Trump's Address to Congress
- February 7, 2017 — National PTA Statement on Betsy DeVos’ Confirmation as U.S. Secretary of Education
- February 2, 2017— National PTA letter in advance of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce's hearing on “Helping Students Succeed Through the Power of School Choice”
- January 10, 2017 — National PTA Statement on Newly Formed Public Education Caucus
- January 4, 2017 — National PTA Statement on Secretary of Education Confirmation Hearing
Resources on Private School Vouchers
National PTA is a founding member of the National Coalition for Public Education (NCPE). Founded in 1978, the NCPE supports public schools and opposes the funneling of public money to private and religious schools through vouchers, tuition tax credits, education savings accounts and portability. NCPE now consists of over 50 education, civic, civil rights and religious organizations devoted to the support of public schools. Find the latest resources developed by the NCPE below: