PTA's College and Career Readiness Initiative
National PTA launched its College and Career Readiness (CCR) initiative in 2009. Since that time, PTAs (states, districts, councils, and local units) that lie within the selected states have taken significant action to drive the College and Career Ready movement forward in their state and receive significant support from National PTA in order to do so successfully. The resources made available to states participating in the initiative provide a marked opportunity for improving child advocacy capabilities, enhancing the ability to mobilize members, increasing the PTA’s stature as a critical education player, and have experienced a major impact on improving educational opportunities for children.
NEW! CCR Parent Education Tool Kit - Everything you need to host a training on College and Career Readiness at your school!
PTAs in selected states partner closely with National PTA to benefit the children of their state by building their advocacy capacity and strengthening the efforts of their outreach.
- Educate state/local members about the issues related to College and Career Readiness: standards, assessments, implementation and accountability.
- Train state/local leaders and members on advocacy skills essential to a successful issue campaign and mobilizing members.
- Educate state level education policymakers and coalition partners about the CCRI and assessments, and advocate for effective implementation.
History of Participants
|2010 - 4 grants in 4 states||2011 - 4 grants in 4 states|
|2012 - 6 grants in 5 states||2013 - 3 grants in 3 states|
|2014/15 - 28 grants in 21 states||2016 - 27 grants in 20 states|
|2017 - 18 grants in 16 states|
1. Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, North Carolina
2. Minnesota, Mississippi, Ohio, Washington
3. Delaware, Michigan, 15th District PTA Louisville, Kentucky, Springdale, Arkansas, Duval and Pinellas Counties, Florida
4. Kansas, Indiana, Michigan
5. Alabama, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Oregon (Kansas, Michigan)
6. Alabama, Colorado, Florida, Ohio, Nevada, New Jersey
7. Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, New Jersey, West Virginia, Wisconsin, (Kansas, Nevada, Ohio)
Current Participating State PTAs
National PTA currently has six states working on intensive campaigns focused on advocacy and issue education related to college and career readiness including: standards, assessments, implementation and accountability.
AR PTA CCRI Committee includes: State Lead: Trina Kuklaw, State President: Shelly Anderson
Committee Members: Kelli Gill and Shikara Linsey.
GA PTA CCRI Committee includes: State Lead: Tynettia Elrod, State President: Tyler Barr,
Committee Members: William Greene, and Angel Little.
MI PTA CCRI Committee includes: State Lead: Joyce Heideman, State President: Sibyl Collins Wilson,
Committee Members: Shaton Berry, Liz Jarvis, and Teresa Marhofer.
NJ PTA CCRI Committee includes: State Lead: Natalia Suarez, State President: Rose Acerra,
Committee Members: Rob Acerra, Elise An, Lynette Howard, Cathy Lindenbaum, and Sharon Roseboro.
WV PTA CCRI Committee includes State Lead: Janelle Sperry, State President: Kathy Parker,
Committee Members: Rose Rossana, and Karen Sherman.
WI PTA CCRI Committee includes State Lead: Angie Mattes, State President: Angie Mattes,
Committee Members: Robin Anderson, Cyndia Barbian, Ellen Chicka, Andi Krizan, Heidi Nicolazzo,
Roxanne Rhinehart, and Brenda Ward.
National PTA CCRI Team