Stop Cuts to Classrooms
Federal funding for public education programs has remained at 2% of the federal budget for decades, despite the increase in public school enrollment and the rising cost of education resources and services. This disparity between funding levels and actual costs means that the federal government has essentially enacted cuts to classrooms.
The federal government’s deadline to fund the government for the next year is Sept. 30, 2017. If you would like the United States to have a strong economy powered by a well-educated workforce that can compete on the global stage, then stand with four million parents, teachers, students and community leaders as we demand that Congress #STOPCutsToClassrooms and invest more than 2% in public education before the next fiscal year on Oct. 1, 2017.
What Can You Do as a PTA Advocate to STOP Cuts to Classrooms
- Take Action: Sign the petition requesting that more than 2% of the federal budget be reserved for public education
- Join the Conversation: Join other education advocates in Funding Fridays on Twitter, Facebook and other social media platforms to raise awareness that 2% of federal funding for public education is inadequate (Social Media Toolkit)
- Spread the Word: Use the #STOPCutsToClassrooms campaign toolkit in your newsletters, on social media and during meetings with elected officials to amplify our message (Campaign Toolkit)
After you sign National PTA’s petition to STOP Cuts to Classrooms...
- Take a picture and/or video of yourself holding the “I signed the petition to #STOPCutsToClassrooms” official sign (Print the sign in color / black & white)
- Post the photo and/or video on social media and use the hashtag #STOPCutsToClassrooms. Make sure your post is public!
- Tag @NationalPTA and challenge up to three friends to sign the petition by tagging them in your post.
Sample Social Media Message
I signed @NationalPTA’s #STOPCutsToClassrooms petition! I challenge @JohnSmith @SamplePTA & @ABCD to help make a difference for kids and education.
Press Statements on Federal Investments in Education
- May 24, 2017–President Trump’s Cuts to Public Education Devastating for America’s Children
- May 9, 2017–National PTA Statement on FY 2017 Appropriations Bill
- March 16, 2017–President Trump’s Cuts to Public Education Undermine Opportunity for All Children
- March 1, 2017–National PTA Statement on President Trump’s Address to Congress
Title I: Federal Funding for Low-Income Students (National PTA) NEW!
IDEA: Federal Funding for Students with Disabilities (National PTA) NEW!
Federal Appropriations 101 Webinar (National PTA)
National PTA is a proud, longstanding member of the Committee for Education Funding (CEF). Founded in 1969, CEF is the oldest and largest coalition of education associations in existence, providing a strong and unified voice in support of increasing the federal investment in education. Find the latest resources developed by CEF below:
- Guide to Federal Budget Terminology
- President’s FY 2018 Education Funding Charts
- CEF’s Annual Budget Book
- FY 2014-2018 Discretionary Funding for Select Department of Education Program
- Federal Education Funding 2010 to 2017 (graph)
- 2017 Public Poll on Education Funding (graph)
- Federal Budget Pie Chart