Intern Opportunities | National PTA
National PTA, located in Alexandria, Va., is currently accepting applications from college and grad students who wish to serve as unpaid interns at the PTA headquarters for Fall Semester of 2017. These are unpaid internships but we do provide a $500.00 transportation stipend.
Fall Interns will begin working in September and continue through the First week of December (Dates and hours are Flexible), except where indicated. National PTA staff will assist any students wishing to get college credit for our unpaid internship. Currently, the following internships are available:
Send resume and two writing samples and any other related materials to HR@pta.org. Please include the title of the internship in the subject line. Graphic Design Interns should send a link to their portfolio.
We are seeking a sophomore or more senior majoring in English, Journalism, Communications or Marketing that is interested in supporting the National PTA’s online magazine, Our Children.
The intern should be willing and able to commit 15 to 20 hours of week of work in our offices in Alexandria, VA or remotely from school. We do allow flexible schedules and some work from home may be possible. The intern will be responsible for:
- Posting articles for Our Children Magazine in World Press.
- Compiling monthly and quarterly magazine and e-marketing metrics.
- Help writing and editing articles, promotional copy and website content for various communications projects.
- Help creating graphics for Our Children Magazine and promotional tasks.
- Assist with additional communication projects as needed.
Students should gain valuable working knowledge of communications work in a non-profit environment and will be completing project related work to add to their portfolios.
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and at least two writing samples to: HR@pta.org, please include Editorial Communications Intern on the subject line.
The intern will support National PTA’s Creative Services team efforts and gain experience working on design layout for National PTA projects.
Our ideal candidate must be self-motivated and a forward thinker with a strong interest in the creative art and design. Must show strong initiative, be open to constructive criticism and feedback; understand design principles and respect towards producing real work product and meeting deadlines.
- Understanding of graphic design layout
- Moderate proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud: InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Ability to create design projects by a deadline
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing design and development support to National PTA’s Creative Services team.
- Exercise creative thinking on logo creation, imagery and branding projects.
- Daily projects that include both administrative, communications and small graphics projects.
- Attend staff and internal client meetings.
Required experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
Qualified candidates must be going into junior or senior year working towards a B.A. in Graphic Design, Communications, Advertising or related design field.
Students should gain valuable working knowledge of graphic and design communications work in a non-profit environment and will be completing project related work to add to their portfolios.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and a portfolio of work that can be viewed by the internship supervisor online to: HR@pta.org, please include Graphics Design Intern on the subject line.
The intern will provide support to the Resource Development department to help support National PTA’s individual giving efforts. They will gain experience working on real projects related to non-profit individual giving and corporate partnerships. This is a wonderful position for a student with a desire to explore a mission driven non-profit environment as a possible career.
Duties and responsibilities may include the following:
- Researching and drafting potential grants
- Corporate partnership and lead generation research
- Drafting donor correspondence and solicitations
- Coordinating donor acknowledgement program
- Production assistance for donor stewardship, cultivation & fulfillment needs
- Prep for corporate onboarding meetings and conferences
- Collaboration with other departments in cross-channel campaign promotions
Required experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
Qualified candidates must possess strong Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word and writing skills. Marketing and/or fundraising knowledge a plus but not required. Website development skills preferred, but not required. Interest in non-profit development.
Preferred college majors: English, Marketing, Communications, or Business.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and at least two writing samples to: HR@pta.org, please include Resource Development Intern on the subject line.
The Education & Training intern will use an array of communications skills to support education and member awareness strategies. Intern will produce numerous portfolio items including guides, web content, blogs, social media graphics, presentations, and supporting e-learning development.
- Strong communication skills, including written, oral, and listening.
- Computer software competency, particularly with Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Ability to work independently and track milestones and meet project quality expectations
- Willingness to learn new designer software such as: Photoshop CS6 and Articulate Storyline Suite
- Awareness of a variety of design and development tools such as Adobe Captivate, Dreamweaver, Flash, and HTML
- Working towards a degree in Instructional Design, Education, or Communications is preferred.
- Must be able to multitask to support several programs and initiatives and provide excellent customer service to our members.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and at least two writing samples to:
HR@pta.org, please include Education & Leadership Development Intern on the subject line.