Reflections – #ArtsEd Tools
Help PTA ensure that every child has access to-and takes part in-high quality arts learning experiences. Use this toolkit to grow family and community engagement for arts education at your school.
The Importance of Arts in Education
PTA believes all students deserve the opportunity to take part in the arts, both in school and in the community. The arts can positively affect entire school culture—especially student motivation, attitudes, and attendance—which encourages students to stay in school, succeed in school, succeed in work, and succeed in life!
PTA ArtsEd Leader’s Guide Coming Soon!
Whether you're new to PTA or an experienced leader, the PTA ArtsEd Leader's Guide will help you establish an ArtsEd team, assess arts programs, practices and policies at your school and engage more families in school decision-making. By the end of the school year, your PTA will be able to accomplish one or more of the following:
- Increase student access to ArtsEd opportunities.
- Secure ArtsEd resources for students and teachers.
- Strengthen family and community relationships with schools.
- Establish School ArtsEd Policies
What can PTAs Do?
Lead a PTA ArtsEd Project to:
- Share resources with parents to support their child’s interest in the arts.
- Speak up for arts education using powerful PTA statements supporting arts education.
- Strengthen family-school partnerships and be recognized as a National PTA School of Excellence.
Host a Creative Career Fair for families: Invite families to learn about how artistic literacy translates into college and career readiness. Learn how using the PTA Creative Career Fair Guide.
Host a Reflections Awards program for students: Spark creativity and celebrate participation and achievement in the arts with the whole family. Learn how using the PTA Reflections Toolkit.
Enroll in the National PTA School of Excellence Program (July-Oct): Strengthen family-school partnerships in support of arts education and gain national recognition for excellence in family engagement. Learn more about National PTA School of Excellence.
Celebrate ArtsEd with National PTA: Speak up about your PTA's support for arts education.
- September 10-16, 2017 is National Arts in Education Week UPDATED!
- October is National Arts and Humanities Month
- March is Music In Our Schools Month
- View National PTA's position statement and resolution supporting arts education.
- Explore One Voice blogs and Our Children Magazine articles about arts education.
- Sign up for the PTA Takes Action Network to stay up to date on all of the advocacy efforts of PTA members.
Other ArtsEd Resources
Americans for the Arts envisions a country where everyone has access to-and takes part in-high qualify and lifelong learning experiences in the arts, both in school and in the community. Learn about new ways to support the arts during National Arts in Education Week and National Arts and Humanities Month. Find connections and partnerships in the Arts Education Field Guide. Browse the Arts Education Navigator Series and grow your confidence as a PTA ArtsEd Leader. Share these family activities.
Arts Education Partnership helps PTA to advance arts education and lead the way to student success with current research and policy insights. Visit ArtScan to learn about state education policies supporting arts education. Make your case for arts education with the help of ArtsEdSearch, a research and policy database providing summaries on academic, cognitive, personal, social, and civic outcomes for students of arts education.
National Association for Music Education serves as National PTA Reflections' expert adviser on music composition and provides an array of resources and local advocacy tools to help parents advocate for their child's music education. Learn about Music Education under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). Gather 5 simple ways to support music programs. Share this flier for parents.