PTA Position Statement on Child Safety and Protection
A founding purpose of National PTA is to promote safety for children and youth. National PTA urges its members at all levels to monitor, support, and advocate for laws and programs in the following areas:
- Assist in the identification and return of missing or runaway children.
- Prevent exploitation of children and unhealthy work environments.
- Heighten awareness of and help prevent child and youth suicide.
- Include safety education in school curriculum and community programs.
- Raise awareness of the need for safe recreational equipment and facilities, playground safety, protective sports gear, and school bus safety.
- Promote compliance with child support laws and orders.
- Promote initiatives to address racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic inequities in the juvenile justice system.
- Encourage collaboration between law enforcement, the judicial system, and child welfare agencies.
- Promote alternative dispute resolution techniques that provide a range of possible sanctions.
- Prohibit youth who are charged with a serious crime from being tried in the adult court system unless there has been an opportunity for a judicial hearing and appeal.
- Prohibit the incarceration of youth in adult facilities.
- Assist youth leaving the juvenile justice system, and prevent their return.
- Support research and data collection regarding youth offenses.
- Protect children from violence.
- Inform the public of the sale, resale, and destruction of weapons that can cause injury and death.
- Raise awareness of gun safety and promote violence education.
- Address the dangers associated with gangs, cults, and other violent behaviors.
This position statement was written to update and combine resolutions and position statements concerning “Safety and Protection”. The original resolutions and position statements will be archived in the Historical Records as reference on this issue.