Internet Safety Checklist for Parents
National PTA feels that it's the responsibility of parents, teachers, and other caregivers to control children's exposure to electronic media and to promote their media literacy. The resources offered here and on this website will help parents fulfill these responsibilities.
Here are a few other suggestions on how parents can protect their children from harmful topics conveyed through electronic media:
- Learn about the kinds of media and technology your children are using.
- Talk with your children about their media choices.
- Check their understanding of the messages and images they encounter.
- Make media choices together—decide what your family will and won't view.
- Encourage sensible and thoughtful use of screen time for your family.
- Consider ages and needs of your children, and set clear rules and expectations for all family members.