Model Positive Behaviors
Modeling healthy behaviors encourages and supports the development of healthy behaviors in others. It also helps to create a consistent message for students and families throughout the whole school.
What PTAs Can Do
Publicly support your school.
Thank your school leaders for adopting nutritional or physical activity standards on social media, in newsletters and at PTA meetings.
Give your fundraisers and other PTA events a healthy makeover.
- Make sure any fundraisers during the school day meet the new Smart Snack Guidelines.
- Use the Active School Fundraiser to host a turkey trot, walkathon or other fun run to raise money for your school. Your PTA keeps 75% of funds raised online, and 100% of onsite funds raised, such as through registrations or giveaways.
- Sell fruit, gift wrap or host a car wash.
- Plan a parent-teacher basketball game.
- For class "spirit" and other competitions, provide healthy rewards (a smoothie party) or nonfood items (extra recess) instead of candy, doughnuts and pizza parties.
- Sell bottled water and healthy treats instead of candy and soda at PTA events.
Make the healthy lifestyles message part of everything your PTA does.
- Consider making Healthy Lifestyles Month an annual PTA event.
- Make healthy lifestyles a regular feature during your PTA meetings, or devote one entire meeting to exploring what your PTA can do.
- Feature healthy lifestyles content and tips from National PTA Healthy Lifestyles blog, Facebook or Twitter pages in your PTA newsletter or on your website.
- Offer healthy foods and beverages at all PTA meetings.
- Fundraising Options Available to Schools (Center for Science in the Public Interest): Contains recommended healthy fundraising options.
- Fire Up Your Feet: National PTA initiative encouraging schools, students and families in select states to walk more to and from school—and in daily life—while keeping track of their steps
- Active School Fundraising: Fundraise for your PTA through walks, runs and other fun physical activity challenges. There is no startup fee or selection process. Your PTA keeps 75% of funds raised online, and 100% of onsite funds raised, such as through registrations or giveaways.