To start a PTA Reflections program in your school community, contact your state PTA for instructions and materials. Watch this video or take the e-learning course to learn about resources and tools provided by your State PTA and National PTA.
Use the 2015-2016 Reflections Toolkit to guide your PTA/PTSA and make your Reflections program a success.
Step 1: Start the Arts
- Contact your state PTA for a Local Leader's Guide, state-specific dates, forms and additional information.
- Register your program with National PTA and according to state PTA instructions.
- Kick-off your program with National Arts in Education Week.
- Consider the National Standards for Family-School Partnerships to ensure your Reflections program meets its intended potential.
Step 2: Organize and Plan Your Program
Recruit a committee/team of volunteers to assist with program tasks. Also recruit community arts professionals to review artwork and determine awards.
- Customize your check list to organize tasks and schedule deadlines.
- Consider these Volunteer Job Descriptions to help recruit volunteers with specific skills/interests.
Step 3: Promote Reflections
Announce your call for entries using PTA, school and community communication channels. Be sure to include a deadline and drop off location as well as submission instructions.
- Consider these Tips for Promoting Reflections
- Distribute posters/flyers or create your own using the Reflections Visual Standards and logo.
- Promotional Tools:
- Distribute the 2015 Student Entry Form & Rules provided by your State PTA.
- Reference the summary of rules (En Espanol) and full set of rules for national qualification:
Step 4: Organize Artwork for Judging
- Welcome judges with a copy of program rules and instruct them to complete their scorecards using this rubric.
- Ensure judges review the student's artwork title and artist statement included on the student's entry form, but do not reveal the student's name.
- Assign awards by division and category to all qualifying entries. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence, Award of Merit, Honorable Mention and Participant.
Step 5: Celebrate and Recognize Your Participants
- Start with the Reflections celebration guide to help plan your event.
- Share the media advisory and press release with local media.
- Present the Certificate of Participation and other awards available at the PTA Store.
- Learn about state and National Awards and Recognition opportunities.
Step 6: Wrap Up
- Be sure to thank school staff, community partners, PTA members and judges. Consider this template Thank-you Letter for Volunteers.
- Organize information to share with PTA and school leaders. Consider this Sample Program Evaluation to archive notes for next year.
- Report Participation (Contact state PTA for a PTA Registration Form)