Use this 2016-2017 Reflections Toolkit: What Is Your Story? to walk through a step-by-step process, gather tools and resources and learn best practices for hosting your program.
Step 1. Register Your PTA's Program
- Gather important materials, forms, due dates and instructions from your State PTA.
- Become an expert in 20 minutes. Watch this 20 min video or take this eLearning Course.
Step 2. Plan Your Program
- Customize your PTA Leader Checklist to organize tasks and schedule deadlines.
- Recruit a committee with this Flier and Volunteer Sign-Up Sheet.
- Recruit volunteer judges with experience in the arts.
- To inspire participation, plan activities during National Arts in Education Week (Sept. 11-17, 2016) and National Arts and Humanities Month (October).
Step 3. Promote your 'Call for Entries'
- Use these ready-made tools to promote the 2016-17 theme: What Is Your Story?
- Distribute the Student Entry Form, rules and instructions provided by your State PTA. For reference, see National PTA Official Rules.
- Consider these Tips for Program Promotion.
- Be creative and use our images for your PTA and school communications:
Step 4. Organize Artwork for Judging
- Collect submissions and organize by Arts Category and Grade Division. Qualify submissions according to program rules and address student ineligibility, as needed.
- Prepare submissions for Judges' review and provide Judging Guidelines and a Score Card to each judge. Judges will review artwork and judging information provided on the student's entry form.
- Collect judges scores and rank entries. Assign awards by grade division and arts category. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence; Award of Merit; Honorable Mention; Participant.
Step 5. Celebrate and Recognize Your Participants
- Use the Reflections celebration guide to help plan your event.
- Promote your event and celebrate students in local media using this media advisory and press release.
- Present the Certificate of Recognition and other awards available at the PTA Store.
- Learn about state and national awards for students and PTAs.
Step 6. Wrap Up
- Thank school staff, community partners, judges and parent volunteers using this Thank-you Letter for Volunteers.
- Organize feedback using this Program Evaluation.
- Report your 2016-17 program success by Mar. 1,2017.