Use the 2016-2017 Reflections Toolkit: What Is Your Story? to walk through a step-by-step process, gather tools and resources and learn best practices for hosting your program.
Step 1. Start the Arts
- Register your 2016-17 program (Jul. 1 through Jan. 1, 2017).
- Contact your State PTA for a Local Leader's Guide, state-specific dates, forms and additional information.
- Take the Reflections Leader Training (on demand) and attend the Reflections 101 Webinar (Aug. 9, 8:00 PM EDT).
- Use #ArtsEdWeek Tools to kick-off your program in a big way this National Arts in Education Week (Sept. 11-17).
Step 2. Organize and Plan Your Program
- Customize your PTA Leader Checklist to organize tasks and schedule deadlines.
- Build your PTA Arts Committee with this Volunteer Sign-Up Sheet.
- Recruit community arts professionals to serve as judges.
Step 3. Promote Reflections
- Introduce Reflections to school and community partners using this Reflections flier.
- Announce your Call for Entries using this customizable themed flier (.pdf, fillable .pdf).
- Distribute the Student Entry Form, rules and instructions provided by your State PTA. For reference, see National PTA Official Rules.
- Consider these Tips for Program Promotion.
- Create your own promotions:
Step 4. Organize Artwork for Judging
- Collect submissions and organize by Arts Category and Grade Division. Qualify submissions according to program rules and address student ineligibility, as needed.
- Prepare submissions for Judges' review and provide Judging Guidelines and a Score Card to each judge. Judges will review artwork and judging information provided on the student's entry form.
- Collect judges scores and rank entries. Assign awards by grade division and arts category. Award levels may include: Award of Excellence; Award of Merit; Honorable Mention; Participant.
Step 5. Celebrate and Recognize Your Participants
- Use the Reflections celebration guide to help plan your event.
- Promote your event and celebrate students in local media using this media advisory and press release.
- Present the Certificate of Recognition and other awards available at the PTA Store.
- Learn about state and national awards for students and PTAs.
Step 6. Wrap Up
- Thank school staff, community partners, judges and parent volunteers using this Thank-you Letter for Volunteers.
- Organize feedback using this Program Evaluation.
- Submit student participation totals (Sept. 1 through Mar. 1, 2017).