Improving Energy Balance
National PTA provides local PTAs with tools to partner with schools for the entire school year to address one nutrition and one physical activity issue, educate families and improve kids' energy balance. Energy balance is simply finding a balance between the calories we consume through what we eat and drink and the calories we burn through physical activity.
The Energy Balance Toolkit
To assist PTAs in partnering with schools and parents to implement healthy lifestyles programming focused on energy balance, National PTA has developed customizable tools for PTA leaders that include:
- Leader's Guide describing how to plan, promote, host and evaluate energy balance activities
- Kick-off letter to families (En Español)
- Event flyer for families (En Español)
- Poster for schools: Pre-kindergarten and Elementary school
- Social media messaging (En Español)
- Proclamation for community-wide recognition (En Español)
- Donation request letter
- Pre- and post-event family survey
- Consent to photograph
- Thank you letters: Donations and Volunteers
The Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation is designed to help reduce obesity—especially childhood obesity
- The Together Counts™ initiative (www.togethercounts.com) is a national campaign that promotes active, healthy living through energy balance. The program focuses its efforts on two critical areas – families and schools. It provides tips, tools and incentives for parents, teachers and school health professionals to use in encouraging energy balance.
- Together Counts – Home is a portal designed for families, teachers and health professionals to engage on social media, access free resources, check out the most popular lessons, videos and grant or promotional programs.
- Energy Balance Enrichment Zone curriculum was created for volunteers to use to promote physical activity and healthy eating and inspires kids and families to be mindful of their daily energy balance for life.
- SMART START PRE-K is the new Pre-K portal where the Energy Balance PreK curriculum features developmentally-appropriate activities within two broad thematic units, Me and My Choices and Give It a Try! Each of the lessons and activities are aligned to a range of popular preschool health programs including Head Start, NAEYC, WIC, SNAP-Ed and SHAPE America (formerly NASPE/AAPHERD), among others.
- Together Counts in Spanish provides Spanish translations of at-home and at-school resources.