Healthy Lifestyles Energy Balance 101
The Healthy Lifestyles Energy Balance 101 program provides local PTAs with tools to partner with schools and engage families in providing healthy learning and home environments. Funded by the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation, which through its Together Counts™ program, 240+ members and partners, seeks to reduce childhood obesity by 2015, this year’s program focuses on an everyday healthy lifestyle practice known as Energy Balance. Energy Balance is simply finding a balance between the calories we consume through eating and drinking and the calories we burn through physical activity.
PTAs play an important role in increasing physical activity and improving nutrition in the school community by engaging families, teachers, administrators and students in programs and activities that encourage the school community to be active and to eat healthier foods.
The goals of the Healthy Lifestyles Energy Balance 101 program are to provide local PTAs with resources to:
- Use the Energy Balance 101 curriculum to educate families on the importance of energy balance, good nutrition and physical activity in achieving an active, healthy lifestyle;
- Empower families to partner with schools to advocate for and support the implementation of healthy changes around nutrition and physical activity, and;
- Provide families with tools to create an environment at home that supports the positive changes at school.
Healthy Lifestyles Toolkit
To assist PTAs in partnering with schools and parents to create healthier environments at home and at school and support implementing healthy lifestyles programming focused on energy balance, National PTA has developed customizable tools for PTA leaders that include:
- A planning guide describing how to plan, promote, host, and evaluate year-long healthy lifestyles activities focused on energy balance. It also includes recommendations for how to incorporate the Together Counts resources into school and home (En Español)
- An Energy Balance 101 kick-off letter for families (En Español)
- An Energy Balance 101 event flier for families (En Español)
- Social media messaging (En Español)
- Local press release
- Proclamation for community-wide recognition (En Español)
- An event survey to evaluate the effectiveness of the educational activities
- Donation request letter
- Thank you letter for sponsors/donors
- Thank you letter for volunteers
The Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation is designed to help reduce obesity–especially childhood obesity–by 2015. The Foundation is committed to the concept of energy balance—balancing calories in and calories out. The Together Counts™ campaign is a nationwide program inspiring active and healthy living. Together Counts-At Home is a portal designed for families, teachers and health professionals to engage on social media, access free resources, check out the most popular lessons, videos and grant or promotional programs. Energy Balance 101: Enrichment Zone is a best practice curriculum created for volunteers to use to promote physical activity and healthy eating and inspires kids and families to be mindful of their daily energy balance for life.
National PTA awards $2,000 Healthy Lifestyles Energy Balance 101 Grants to local PTAs for family education events targeting grades PreK-5 (or schools with grades K-5 such as Pre-K- 8/Pre-K-12). The grant application is currently closed. Request for Proposals for the 2014/15 school year will be available in May, 2014.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (703) 518-1221.