Healthy Lifestyles Energy Balance 101
National PTA's Healthy Lifestyles Grants provide local PTAs with tools and resources to use in partnering with schools to improve energy balance and provide families with nutrition and physical activity education. Energy balance is simply finding a balance between the calories we consume through what we eat and drink and the calories we burn through physical activity.
Local PTAs applied to one of the below Healthy Lifestyles Grants that target families:
- Pre-K: Smart from the Start
- K-5th grade: Energy Balance 101
Local PTAs will:
- Use either the Energy Balance Pre-K or Energy Balance Enrichment Zone (K-5th grade) curricula to educate families on the importance of energy balance, good nutrition and physical activity in achieving an active, healthy lifestyle;
- Empower families to partner with schools to advocate for and support the implementation of healthy changes around nutrition and physical activity, and;
- Provide families with tools to create an environment at home that supports the positive changes at school.
National PTA will award Healthy Lifestyles Grants of $2,000 to 50 local PTAs for grades Pre-K to 5. Funding will be distributed evenly between the two grants:
- 25 Pre-K: Smart from the Start
- 25 K-5th grade: Energy Balance 101
Grant funding must be spent between June 1, 2014 and September 30, 2015.
How to Apply
The deadline has passed.
Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation is the proud sponsor of National PTA’s Smart from the Start: Community Outreach Grant, which through its 255+ members and partners, seeks to significantly reduce childhood obesity rates by 2015.