Fire Up Your Feet
National PTA is partnering with Safe Routes to School National Partnership and Kaiser Permanente on Fire Up Your Feet, a new physical activity program that encourages families to walk more to and from school—and in daily life—while keeping track of their steps, and raising money for their PTA or school.
As Family Engagement Partner, National PTA believes that Fire Up Your Feet provides a great new opportunity for families to get active and spend more quality time together, all while helping out their PTAs and schools. Schools and PTAs in ten regions will also be provided with nearly $70,000 worth of awards to boost opportunities for physical activity. Enter your zip code when visiting FireUpYourFeet.org to see if this is available in your region.
How does Fire Up Your Feet work?
- PTAs register for Fire Up Your Feet online and recruit families to participate.
- Participants build a family page. Recruiting sponsors (i.e., friends, family) via an online donation form is optional.
- Parents and children walk together, share valuable conversation and learning experiences, while building positive behaviors and a love for physical activity.
- Families track their walks with user-friendly online tools and, if desired, raise money for their PTAs. For those who opt to fundraise, 75% of the funds collected go directly to their local PTA to support other healthy lifestyles initiative, while the other 25% goes toward national efforts to support more safe routes to schools.
- PTAs celebrate success!
Watch the National PTA and Safe Routes online training session for PTA members to learn more about this new initiative and ask questions.
E-mail National PTA at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about Fire Up Your Feet.