From the American Academy of Pediatrics, here are some facts about kids and drug use:
- 40% of U.S. teens say they expect to use a drug in the future.
- One out of every five kids in eighth grade has already tried marijuana.
- Teens who smoke cigarettes are more likely to drink alcohol.
- Teens who smoke and drink are more likely to use marijuana. And those who use all three are more likely to use other illicit drugs.
- Long-term studies show that use of other illicit drugs among youth almost never occurs unless they have first used marijuana.
The most important fact you should know: Kids who learn from their parents about the dangers of substance abuse, underage drinking, and other harmful activities are less likely to use those substances. As a parent, you have the power to keep your children safe and drug-free. use these resources from PTA to help you talk to your kids about substance abuse.
PTA Publications & Presentations
Preventing Teen Prescription Drug Abuse
The importance of parental involvement in the prevention of drug abuse among teens.
Third Party Resources
Keeping Kids Drug-Free
Kids who learn from their parents about the dangers of substance abuse are less likely to abuse substances.