PTA MORE—Men Organized to Raise Engagement
Organizations in the PTA MORE (Men Organized to Raise Engagement) alliance are dedicated to raising the level of engagement between children and the important men in the lives.
Coalition members of PTA MORE serve as a conduit for greater father and significant male involvement, resulting in positive outcomes and successful relationships for children, parents, schools and communities. PTA MORE helps PTA leaders and units
- Work with schools and communities to provide programs that engage fathers and positive male figures in the educational and social development of children,
- Develop male leaders who work with fathers and male role models to enhance positive male parenting and involvement with youth,
- Act as a resource for families, communities and schools on fatherhood initiatives and issues,
- Increase the visibility and outreach of the quality programming of the coalition members.
WATCH D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students)
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
WATCH D.O.G.S. is a program of the National Center for Fathering focusing on prevention of violence in schools by using the positive influence of fathers and father-figures to provide an unobtrusive presence in the schools, and to be a positive role-model for students.
Through WATCH D.O.G.S. participation:
- Schools get an enhanced sense of security at their buildings, creating an environment conducive to learning.
- Students gain positive male role models, including students without such role models.
- Fathers learn about the complex challenges facing today’s youth.
- Fathers gain awareness of the positive impact they can have on a student’s academic performance, self esteem, and social behavior.
- WATCH D.O.G.S. is for fathers and father-figures who volunteer at least one day each year at an official WATCH D.O.G.S. school. During the day, WATCH D.O.G.S may read with students, eat lunch with them, watch school entrances and hallways, mentor students, and any other assigned activities.
All Pro Dad
All Pro Dad, founded by Tony Dungy, is a program of Family First, an organization dedicated to strengthening the family. All Pro Dad programs include:
- All Pro Dad’s Day—A one-hour monthly breakfast held before school where fathers/male role models and their kids can meet, have fun and discuss family topics. Materials for All Pro Dad’s Days are free of charge to local organizers. These materials include videos, father/child discussion cards, door prizes, meeting instructions, brochures, posters and promotional flyers.
- NFL Father and Kids Experience—Held in conjunction with an NFL team, these events include workshops on father and child relationships, motivational talks, and interactive sports and games.
- Play of the Day—A concise daily e-mail of fatherhood advice.
Strong Fathers-Strong Families
Fort Worth, Texas
Strong Fathers-Strong Families is a training, technical assistance, and facilitation organization that is focused on strengthening children by strengthening fathers and families. Through staff training, consultation, and event facilitation, Strong Fathers-Strong Families works with Head Starts, public schools, and churches as well as other organizations. The goal is to improve the educational environment in order that men may become more involved in the lives of their children.
Calendar of events centered on male involvement and fathering
ABC's of Male Involvement
Step-by-step method for encouraging men to get more involved in school activities.
10 Ways to Get Men More Involved in PTAs
Checklist of methods for increasing male involvement.
Watch D.O.G.S. brochure
Brochure for National Center for Fathering's Watch D.O.G.S. program
All Pro Dad / iMom brochure
PDF brochure for All Pro Dad and iMom Morning programs
Father Involvement How-To Guide
A guide for PTAs to promote male involvement.
Our Children—Male Involvement Issue
Download the February/March 2008 issue of Our Children (2.16 MB pdf) for additional articles on Male Involvement.