Reflections – For Students
Create an Original Work
Only new and original works inspired by the theme: What Is Your Story? will be accepted. Enter in 1 or more of the following arts categories.
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
Visit your State PTA website for available arts categories and official rules for participation.
Submit Your Entry
Follow your school's PTA deadlines and instructions on how to enter. Your submission must include a completed and signed Student Entry Form.
In your artist statement, tell us about your work and what it means to you.
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g. supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)?
- What/Who was your inspiration?
Volunteer arts and education experts review submissions without knowledge of the entrants’ identity. Judges look for personal interpretations on the program theme that best exemplify creativity and technical skill.
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the artwork itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
Visit the art gallery for examples of national award-winning works.
Awards & Prizes
Enter the Theme Search Contest
The search is on for a future National PTA Reflections theme! One exceptional theme will be chosen on February 1, 2017 to inspire creativity for the 2018-2019 PTA Reflections program theme. The winner will receive $100 and recognition at the Annual National PTA Convention. Theme Search judges look for a focused and clear theme promoting PTA values that is appropriate for all grades and applicable to all arts categories. Past themes are not considered.
Congratulations to the 2016 Theme Search Contest Winner, Ben Berselli of Shady Grove PTA, VA. Ben’s theme Within Reach will be featured as the 2017-2018 PTA Reflections program theme.
- Congratulations to the 2015 Theme Search Contest Winner, Brianna Eisman of Douglas Anderson PTSA, FL. Brianna’s theme What Is Your Story? will be featured as the 2016-2017 PTA Reflections program theme.
For more information on how to enter, contact your State PTA.
The 2016-2017 Theme Search is brought to you with generous support by: