How to Encourage a Love of Reading and Learning in Your Child
The most important thing you can do for your child is to encourage a love of reading and learning. To begin, here are five ways:
- Every day, read to your infant or young child, or read with an older child.
- Show that you enjoy reading. Let your child see you reading books, magazines, newspapers, school notices and other written materials.
- Use your public library and discover its resources with your child. Talk about the kinds of books you want to check out. Make sure that everyone gets to check out a book!
- Use your television as a teaching tool. Watch it with your child and talk about what you are viewing.
- When you learn something new, share it with your child. Let your child see how learning continues throughout a lifetime.