Resources for Engaging Urban Families
We have created information and resources on the unique challenges urban families face and ways PTAs can better support Hispanic families in achieving student success. For more infromation about the Urban Child, visit our October Every Child in Focus webpage.
- America’s Promise Alliance—Grad Nation: Grad Nation is a large and growing movement of dedicated individuals, organizations and communities working together to end America’s dropout crisis.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway: Lists of resources for family engagement and involvement.
- Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP): Resource for research and analysis on policy related to low-income people. CLASP article on Poverty
- Khan Academy: Free tutoring website with an extensive video library that includes interactive challenges, assessments, and videos.
- MALDEF Parent School Partnership Program: A 12-session program provides parents and community leaders with the tools to become more effective advocates in improving their children's educational attainment, schools, and community.
- National Center for Family Literacy: NCFL provides free literacy resources that parents can use with their children and online activities that families can use on their home computer.
- The National Urban League: “I am empowered. I am the Urban League” campaign for youth development.
- Parent Teacher Conference Guide: Part of the Urban Family Engagement Network Curriculum. (En Español)
- Polaris Project: Polaris Project is a leading organization in the global fight against human trafficking and modern-day slavery.
- Project Appleseed: A national campaign for public school improvement through parenting, learning at home, collaborating with community, volunteering, communication, and decision-making.
- Urban Family Engagement Network: provides an opportunity for parents, caregivers, administrators, policy makers, and community stakeholders at all levels to work together to ensure urban students reach their fullest potential.
- WATCH D.O.G.S.: A father involvement initiative of the National Center for Fathering that organizes fathers and father figures in order to provide positive male role models for the students and to enhance school security.
About Every Child in Focus
National PTA’s Every Child in Focus is a campaign centered on strengthening family engagement in schools by celebrating important cultural distinctions and achievements, while highlighting solutions to potential educational issues.
Each month, National PTA will spotlight the educational issues surrounding a particular group, highlight their accomplishments and focus on ways to foster Family-School Partnerships. Follow our Every Child in Focus Calendar for materials to help families and PTAs learn more about each group.