Every Child in Focus—Urban Child
In October, National PTA’s Every Child in Focus campaign centers on the Urban Child. Using the PTA National Standard for Family-School Partnerships, we will explore ways PTAs can welcome and support urban families in the school community.
We have created information and resources on the unique challenges urban families face and ways PTAs can better support these families in achieving student success.
- Read our PTA One Voice Blog for PTA Success Stories and additional resources. You can also share your blog! We want to hear local and state PTA success stories on supporting student success through diversity and inclusion. Use our blog share tool to tell us your story.
- Share the Parents' Guides to Student Success. These standards provide clear, consistent expectations for what students should be learning at each grade in order to be prepared for college and career.
According to the World Health Organization, the urban population is expected to almost double by the middle of the 21st century. Students in urban areas are more likely to live in low-income families and less likely to graduate from high school than their counterparts in suburban and rural areas, representing a critical population in which to inspire a lifelong love of learning and increase family engagement in schools.
- Nearly one-third of Americans live in urban areas. (Source: U.S. Census Bureau)
- By the middle of the 21st century, the urban population is expected to almost double. (Source: World Health Organization)
- As of 2009, more than 13,000 public elementary and secondary schools are located in large, urban areas in the U.S. (Source: National Center for Education Statistics)
- Urban schools enroll higher rates of students from diverse populations. (Source: University of Michigan)
- Children in urban areas are more likely to live in low-income families than are rural or suburban children. (Source: National Center for Children in Poverty)
- Students in urban areas are less likely to graduate from high school than their counterparts in suburban and rural areas. (Source: America’s Promise Alliance)
Ways to Engage Urban Families
About Every Child in Focus
National PTA’s Every Child in Focus is a campaign centered on strengthening family engagement in schools by celebrating important cultural distinctions and achievements, while highlighting solutions to potential educational issues.
Each month, National PTA will spotlight the educational issues surrounding a particular group, highlight their accomplishments and focus on ways to foster Family-School Partnerships. Follow our Every Child in Focus Calendar for materials to help families and PTAs learn more about each group.