Every Child in Focus—Hispanic Child
In September, National PTA’s Every Child in Focus campaign centers on the Hispanic Child. Using the PTA National Standard for Family-School Partnerships, we will explore ways PTAs can welcome and support Hispanic families in the school community.
- Read our PTA One Voice Blog for PTA Success Stories and additional resources. You can also share your blog! We want to hear local and state PTA success stories on supporting student success through diversity and inclusion. Use our blog share tool to tell us your story.
- Share the Parents' Guides to Student Success in Spanish. These standards provide clear, consistent expectations for what students should be learning at each grade in order to be prepared for college and career.
According to the National Council of La Raza, Latino children and youth are the fastest-growing population in America. Currently, 23% of children under the age of 18 are Latin, representing a critically important part of our nation’s future.
- The Hispanic population of the United States totals 53 million, making people of Hispanic origin the nation’s largest ethnic minority.
- Hispanics constitute 17% of the nation’s total population.
- It is projected that the Hispanic population of the United States will be more than 128 million by 2060.
- As of 2012, there are more than 11 million Hispanic family households in the United States, with more than 60% having children younger than 18%.
- As of 2011, more than 22% of elementary and high school students in the United States are Hispanic.
(Source: U.S. Census Bureau)
- Harvard Family Research Project: Young Latino Infants and Families: Parental Involvement Implications from a Recent National Study
- National Association of the Education of Young Children: Family Engagement, Diverse Families, and Early Childhood Education Programs
- Abriendo Puertas: A School Readiness Program that Strengthens the Leadership and Advocacy Skills of Parents with Children Ages 0-5
- Pacer Center: Bilingual workshops, individual assistance and translated publications focusing on issues facing families
- National Council of La Raza: Preparing Young Latino Children for School Success: Best Practices in Family Engagement
- National Center for Family Literacy: En Camino Educational Toolkit
About Every Child in Focus
National PTA’s Every Child in Focus is a campaign centered on strengthening family engagement in schools by celebrating important cultural distinctions and achievements, while highlighting solutions to potential educational issues.
Each month, National PTA will spotlight the educational issues surrounding a particular group, highlight their accomplishments and focus on ways to foster Family-School Partnerships. Follow our Every Child in Focus Calendar for materials to help families and PTAs learn more about each group.