Notification of Board Vacancy
Bonnie Cannon, member representative on the National PTA board of directors, has tendered her resignation from the National PTA board of directors, effective immediately.
The board of directors has been notified of the resignation and, according to the National PTA bylaws, the remaining members of the board will elect an individual to fill the vacancy at the board of directors’ January meeting.
If you wish to recommend someone to serve on the board and finish this term, please send the following to VacancyRecommendation@PTA.org by Jan. 6, 2017 at 8:00 p.m. EST.
- The person's full name, email address, home address and phone number
- The person's written consent to both your recommendation and service on the board of directors, if elected
- A less than 100-word statement answering the question "What expertise, perspective and skill sets would you bring to the National PTA Board of Directors?"
The term of office that will be filled by the person elected to fill the vacancy will be for the remainder of the 2016-2018 term (approx. 17 months of service).
Please do not recommend a person who does not meet the eligibility requirements or who does not give you written consent to recommend them.
- The person being recommended may not be serving on the nominating and leadership development committee
- If the person being recommended is a state president, that person shall be eligible to serve as a board member representative only if the remainder of their term as state president, at the time of election or appointment to the board of directors (Jan. 28, 2017), is less than six months. If the remainder of the term is equal to or great than six months, the state constituent association president shall retain the presidency until the time of election or appointment to the board of directors.
- No two member representatives on the board of directors shall be from the same state at the time elected or when appointed to fill a vacancy. The following states have a member serving as board of directors board member representative and are therefore not eligible to recommend a member from the states listed: California, Connecticut, Delaware, European Union, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin and West Virginia.
The names of all persons recommended to fill the vacancy and their less than 100-word statement will be shared with the entire board of directors. The names that are submitted are recommendations ONLY and do not place the person named into nomination. Only members of the board may make the actual nomination.
Therefore, according to the National PTA bylaws, members of the board of directors will offer nominations prior to the election to fill the vacancy and it is possible that persons recommended by you may not necessarily be nominated by a board member.
I look forward to receiving recommendations, written consent and a summary statement by the Jan. 6, 2017 at 8:00 p.m. EST deadline at VacancyRecommendation@PTA.org.
Laura M. Bay
National PTA President