PTA Take Your Family to School Week® — February 18-22, 2013
National PTA’s Take Your Family to School Week encourages PTAs and school leaders across the country to open their doors to families so that they are engaged in their child’s education and overall well-being. The timing of the week—in February—honors the day PTA was founded: February 17, 1897. A Proud National Sponsor of PTA since 2005, the AXA Foundation—the philanthropic arm of AXA Equitable—is again pleased to sponsor the program.
This year’s Take Your Family to School Week is Feb. 18-22, 2013. Local PTAs will host family-focused events throughout the week with an emphasis, this year, on safety at home and at play.
National PTA is pleased to release the first themed set of resources designed to support PTA leaders and other parent groups in marketing and organizing their family-focused Take Your Family to School Week events.
This year, we encourage parents and teachers to align their Take Your Family to School Week activities with the theme of “Safety at Home and at Play.” To make this easy to accomplish, and to assist PTAs with the planning and execution of their events, National PTA and Safe Kids Worldwide have created downloadable toolkits for PTA leaders and other parent groups containing the following turnkey resources:
- A comprehensive, step-by-step program leader’s planning guide; (en Español)
- Six activity lesson plans (children in K-5 and their families) addressing poisoning, playground, fire and bike safety;
- “Look alikes” – poison prevention (en Español)
- “Cycling skills clinic” – bike safety (en Español)
- “Get low and go” – fire, burns and scalds prevention (en Español)
- “Fire escape map” – fire, burns and scalds prevention (en Español)
- “Safety sleuths” – playground safety (en Español)
- “The ultimate playground” – playground safety contest (en Español)
- A take-home safety tip sheet – (en Español)
National PTA has also created editable template tools for local PTAs to use to promote their events to families, students and their community.
- Family recruitment templates;
- Community and media outreach templates; and
- A customizable poster for marketing the week’s events to families and students. (en Español)
E-mail National PTA at email@example.com for questions about Take Your Family to School Week and the new online resources.