Front Desk Receptionist
The Front Desk Receptionist in the headquarters office greets visitors and manages incoming phone calls in a professional and timely manner and transfers calls to the appropriate extension. Helps determine the nature of visitors’ business (i.e., PTA board members, vendors, applicants, etc.) and directs them to the appropriate staff member. Also, responsible for performing a variety of miscellaneous clerical duties on an as needed bases, including opening mail, typing, collating, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives and registers walk-ins and guests of the national headquarters office and maintains guest log. Announces each visitor to appropriate staff member upon arrival.
- Responsible for receiving, signing for and notifying appropriate staff of receipt of mail, faxes, packages and special deliveries.
- Maintains daily staff sign-in sheet; keeps the sheet updated with daily staff schedules.
- Acts as back-up, roll-over number for the Information Center department; screens calls to determine the nature of the inquiry and forwards the call to the appropriate staff member. Provides answers to questions, when possible.
- Monitors and reports internal telephone equipment problems to supervisor.
- Assists the Human Resources Department by receiving job applicants, distributing application forms and announcing their readiness for an interview. This material is treated in a highly confidential manner.
- Assists with mailings and production related tasks, which may include opening, sorting and processing mail, collating, folding, stuffing, stamping and labeling materials.
- Assists the finance department with credit card receipts and reconciliations.
- Performs word processing, typing, proofreading, check-in of library materials and miscellaneous assignments in support of other workgroups and functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication, listening and interpersonal skills with an extremely pleasant phone persona are necessary to work effectively with the public, membership and staff.
- Ability to operate a multiple extension phone system is essential.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of programs required, including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Accurate typing speed of 45 wpm is needed.
- Must have good organizational skills, be able to multi-task, adapting to changing priorities and projects and the ability to work independently.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Minimum 1-2 years of previous office experience preferably as a receptionist or general office worker is required.
FLSA Status: Exempt. National PTA offers competitive salary, medical, dental, life, LTD, 403 (b), transportation benefit, flexible spending accounts, EAP, paid vacation, sick, holiday and personal days. ONLY resumes including salary requirements will be considered. Send resume and salary requirements to HR@pta.org. Cover letters without salary requirements will not be considered. EOE. No phone calls, please. For information on National PTA, please visit our website: www.pta.org.