With the adoption of the higher quality college and career ready standards across the country, states have implemented measures of college and career readiness into their assessment systems to determine whether students are on track for life after high school. National PTA has compiled all of the resources parents need to learn more about these new college and career standards aligned assessments. Read more about National PTA's position on Assessments.
- National PTA's Position on Assessments
- PTA Assessment Fact Sheet
- Letter to PTA Stakeholders on Assessment Position Statement
- PTA Guidance on Assessment Position Statement
- College and Career Ready Standards: 5 Pillars of Successful Implementation
- National PTA State by State Assessment Guides (Español)
- Assessments Training Toolkit
- Webinar on Assessments and Score Reports: What Parents Need to Know - Webinar Slides PDF
Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC)
The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) is a group of states working together to develop a set of assessments that measure whether students are on track to be successful in college and their careers. These high quality, computer-based K–12 assessments in Mathematics and English Language Arts/Literacy give teachers, schools, students and parents better information that helps determine whether> students are on track in their learning and prepared for success after high school, along with providing tools to help teachers customize learning to meet student needs.
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- Rhode Island
Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC)
The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) is a state-led consortium working to develop next-generation assessments that accurately measure student progress toward college and career readiness. Smarter Balanced states share a commitment to developing a next-generation assessment system aligned to the Standards that provide educators with meaningful feedback and actionable data.
- New Hampshire
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- US Virgin Islands
- West Virginia
States with Other Assessments
- North Carolina
- New York
- South Carolina
Additional Assessment Links
- Be A Learning Hero provides parents with the information and resources they need to support their children's learning and help them be successful in school.
- Achieve is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit education reform organization dedicated to working with states to raise academic standards and graduation requirements, improve assessments, and strengthen accountability.
- ACT's College and Career Readiness System provides a suite of integrated, curriculum-based assessments designed to measure progress over time. The system has components to assess English, math, reading, and science skills, as well as behavioral aspects and career interests.
- ACT Aspire is a standards-based system of assessments to monitor progress toward college and career readiness from grade 3 through early high school, connecting each grade level to the next.