National PTA has partnered with Nonprofit VOTE to produce several resources around the election for our members.
National Voter Registration Day
National Voter Registration Day is September 27, 2016. In association with, Nonprofit VOTE, National PTA will honor National Voter Registration Day by highlighting the importance of voter registration and voting. National PTA believes voter engagement is vital, as it: advances the mission and values of the PTA, increases voter turnout numbers and helps legislators and local leaders realize the importance of PTA-related issues/priorities.
National PTA encourages PTA members from across the country to engage with their communities about registering to vote and the significance of the voting process. PTA members can get involved by reviewing National PTA election guides, and by rolling out voter registration and pledge campaigns. Members may also visit www.nonprofitvote.org to learn more about voter engagement activities in their communities.
Voter Engagement Timeline
This timeline will help your PTA organize itself for its election related community engagement activities.
These helpful manuals explain what nonprofits can and cannot do around elections, ballot measures, town halls, candidate forums and other election activities.
- Permissible Activities Checklist / En Espanol (PDF): An overview of what nonprofits can and cannot do around elections.
- Candidate Appearances / En Espanol (PDF): Provides guidelines on inviting candidates to appear at your events.
- Hosting a Candidate Forum (PDF): An in-depth guide with step-by-step instructions on planning a candidate forum, including what nonprofits can and cannot do.
- Nonprofits and Ballot Measures / En Espanol (PDF): An overview of what actions nonprofits can take around ballot measures.
- Nonprofits, Voting, and Elections (PDF): Explains the actions that nonprofits can take surrounding voter participation and member election education.
Nonprofit VOTE has created a series of webinars to explain the ins and outs of nonprofit election activities.
- PTA Election Guide 101 (PPT): A helpful power point presentation that outlines the basics of nonpartisan voter engagement and how PTAs can effectively promote election activities in their communities.
- Voting In Your State: A state-by-state guide produced by Nonprofit VOTE that provides up to date information from state election officials on state election policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Voter Registration Tool: You can add this to your web page to provide members with information on registering to vote.
- Nonprofit VOTE has a wealth of election related resources for you to browse through.