PTA History: 2010-Present
- PTA received $1 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to educate families on the Common Core State Standards.
- National PTA teamed with Chef Jamie Oliver to produce a toolkit to combat childhood obesity.
- First Lady Michelle Obama spoke at National PTA’s Legislative Conference.
- U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan spoke at the 115th Annual National PTA Convention and Exhibition.
- National PTA moved its headquarters from Chicago to Alexandria, Va.
- National PTA gains bipartisan support in the U.S. Congress for the introduction of the Family Engagement in Education Act.
- The Puerto Rico PTA became the 55th congress of National PTA.
- U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius spoke at National PTA’s Legislative Conference.
- National PTA released Parent Guides on the Common Core State Standards for English and math, grades K–12 in English and Spanish.
- National PTA encouraged anti-bullying discussions in communities with its Connect for Respect initiative.
- The bipartisan Family Engagement in Education Act was introduced in the U.S. Congress.
- Betsy Landers was installed as National PTA President.
- Otha Thornton was chosen as National PTA President-elect, the first male African-American to hold that office.
- Eric Hargis was named National PTA Executive Director.
- National PTA launched Our Home-Our Legacy-Our Future, an unprecedented fundraising campaign.
- Redesigned website with a modern design, easier navigation, an improved search function, social media integration and formatted for mobile and tablet devices.
- Published a digital edition of Our Children magazine.
- Revamped the family-school partnership program to offer continuous improvement to all schools, including pre- and post-implementation assessments.
- National PTA established the Jan Harp Domene Diversity and Inclusion Award to honor the late National PTA President who served from 2007-2009 and was one of PTA’s greatest advocates for underrepresented families and communities.
- Joined the Academy of Education Arts and Sciences. National PTA presidents will sit on the academy’s Board of Governors and submit nominations for and vote in The Bammy Awards.
- More than 150 PTA leaders visited the White House August 10 for a day-long briefing with top administration officials to discuss challenges facing our nation’s schools and communities.
- National PTA and Amazon Kindle teamed up to support family reading with PTA Family Reading Experience, Powered by Kindle program, which helps children become better readers and fosters the love of reading through a set of free literacy games and activities that are fun for the whole family.
- Otha Thornton was installed as president of the National PTA at the June annual convention, making history as the first African-American male chosen to lead the association.
- National PTA re-launched the National PTA School of Excellence recognition program to supports and celebrates partnerships between PTAs and schools to enrich the educational experience and overall well-being for all students.
- The National Football League and National PTA partnered to launch the Back to Sports initiative for youth health and fitness.
- Launched the Every Child in Focus campaign to strengthen family engagement in schools by celebrating the achievements and reporting the disparities within diverse populations and sharing resources and advocacy tools to help understand the needs of every child.
- Launched a National PTA and PTA Events mobile apps.
- Partnered with LifeLock, Inc. to raise awareness about the long-term impact of online activity and encourage students to be good digital citizens—launched #ShareAwesome, a national campaign to spotlight and address important issues of online safety and digital citizenship in a fun, positive way.
- Board of Directors vote to establish two new officer positions—Vice President Advocacy and Vice President Membership.
- National PTA installs a Board of Directors that more closely reflects the children and families of the U.S, with nearly half of members representing minority groups and males.
- Raised over $5K for first #GivingTuesday campaign, an unprecedented individual giving fundraising accomplishment.
- U.S. Army Marketing and Research Group (AMRG) and National PTA entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in shared dedication to the education and development of our nation’s youth.
- Nathan Monell was named National PTA Executive Director.